Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  11:51 pm
Subject:  Vowel Modification and Head Voice

Dear Nicolas and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "iacmf <iacmf@y...>"
<iacmf@y...> wrote:
> i've founf a way to reach notes such as A4.I don't shout or
> something like that.When i use this "method",i feel like i am
> closing my throat.(the feeling you have when you stop breathing
> before exhaling the whole amoumt of air).However i've noticed that
> during this kind of singing,if i am not concentrated,my vowels sound
> more "closed",more "opera style".I have to say that i can have a
> smooth transition from chest to to this kind of voice.
Too bad you can't make a sound clip and throw it up in the files
section (or can you?) - that would help. I would guess you have
managed to find some sort of head voice.

It is true that many teachers feel "vowel modification" is an
important part of the technique of singing higher. I believe that as
the fundamental frequency of the voice rises, it is no longer
possible to sing the same exact vowel.

I was taught that if I keep my larynx relaxed the vowel will
naturally modify, or perhaps conversely, if one modifies the vowel
one's larynx will stay relaxed.

Others are more qualified than me to write about this...I believe
Professor Hanson could add much to the discussion of vowel
modification. I have read several descriptions of a "squeezing"
or "tightening" feeling in the passagio - and I believe this refers
to a narrowness to the feeling of vowels.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21929 Re: Vowel Modification and Head Voice(To Mr Gordon)iacmf <iacmf@y...>iacmf Wed  1/15/2003