Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  10:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Elementary School Vocal Instruction

Dear Jean Marie and List:

Thanks Jean Marie for your suggestions. Some comments below.

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Marie Henderson"
<jeaniebean77@h...> wrote:
> Michael,
> You're right, the situation is a bit delicate. Do you and he
already know
> each other? How well does he take suggestion?
I barely know the music teacher. I met him a few times, and he
greeted me enthusiastically telling me how much he enjoys having my
son in his class.

> Since you a singer, perhaps you could do a workshop with his
students. Perhaps you could give him voice lessons.
This might be a possibility - either to have myself or perhaps
preferably my wife (or both?) come in to work with the kids. Neither
of us is experienced at teaching, and my wife is the better singer of
the two of us, and her voice more closely matches the range of the
children.

> If you are enthusiastic and express a desire to support his
> program, he'll love you. The trick is to not be condescending "I
know more
> than you" but helpful "I have this expertise (I can't spell!!), how
can I
> help."
That's good advice. Thanks.

emusic.com