Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  3:52 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] The First Generation Voice Student...Any Recipes Out There???!!!

Ed <<<<<<<<<<How do you get them to show up?>>>>>> Students have to
pre-pay for every lesson at their lesson time the first lesson of the
month. If they miss the first lesson of the month they still have to
pay for that first lesson (I do make up lessons). I have a policy sheet
that each student must sign.

<<<<<<<<<How do you get them to phone in when they're going to miss or
be late?>>>>>>> This courtesy is listed on the policy. If they are
pre-paying, however, I’m still paid if they don’t show up. If they show
up late they just get a shorter lesson. I will sometimes back up
lessons for late comers, but if they are chronically late I just simply
always end their lesson on time. That’s just the way it goes.

<<<<<How do you get them to pay for missed lessons without having the
appearance of being a collection agent?>>>>>>>> Solved having them
pre-pay. I send out self addressed, stamped envelopes if someone keeps
“forgetting” to bring money on time. I’m always very nice and not stern
and I get paid.

<<<<How do you get them out of the "disease of the month club"??>>>>>>
If they pre-pay they lose their lessons if they accumulate too many
makeup lessons .. I only schedule make up lessons if it is suits my
schedule easily. This is in my policies. I have a little girl and her
mom who is a member of the disease of the month club. Fortunately I
have a lot of students so these people KNOW that they will definitely
lose their desired spot to someone else if they don’t show up and pay.
Again, I’m just nice about it… just state the policy and it’s then their
choice.

<<<<<<<When it comes time to pay the bills, the absent student is a
challenge to the bank account!  Been there TOO many times!!>>>>> Ed,
you’ve got to get them to prepay, don’t be afraid, it works really well!
Just set your policies simply and clearly and they will follow. Just be
clear and to the point and it works like a charm. The other thing is to
trust that you will have a new student to replace the one who falls
through the cracks. I advertise in the yellow pages so I’m constantly
getting calls. If someone is not showing up I just simply call and say
“oh, I’m just wondering if you still want lessons because you didn’t
come and didn’t call and didn’t pay.. just checking to see if the spot
is open.” I say this nicely and usually I get my money or they let me
know they need to stop. Simple.
Deanna

---

emusic.com