Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Jan 13, 2003  7:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How good is Juilliard?

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:38:07 -0000 westernactor <matthewmurray@m...>
wrote:

> I have a friend who is considering returning to
> school to complete his vocal performance degree, and is facing the prospect
of having to
> choose a school with a good vocal performance
> program. A lot of good people come out of Juilliard, but is it really that
great a program? What makes it different from other vocal
> programs? He's also considering Indiana University, so if anyone knows
anything about
> that program, that would be great as well. He
> is very talented, has been out of high school for a number of years, and is
far from
> inexperienced, but is looking for an environment that will provide him the
opportunity to continue to develop his
> skills in a way that his current lifestyle does not allow him. If anyone has
any suggestions of directions in which I might be able
> to point him, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Is this undergrad or an advanced degree?

I can't speak to the quality of the program, but this I do know. They put on
opera productions that sometimes get reviewed in the NY Times. I suspect that
lead roles in these productions are cast entirely from the graduate student
ranks. So if this is a graduate degree, and the person wants to be in NY City
and try for a singing career that the exposure there would aid, it could be a
place to seriously consider.

Classical Singer Magazine has a regular series on vocal programs at various
institutions of higher learning. I seem to remember they did a piece on
Julliard, so if a teacher or music library has back issues, your friend may
want to check them out.

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com