Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...
Date:  Sun Jan 12, 2003  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re: RE:Head voice from falsetto>Some more information about me and my voice.

Lloyd,

I'll try real hard to explain here - because I think it is a topic
of paramount significance. I think falsetto is the voice male
singers naturally go in to when they sing a note at about a G above
middle C and higher in a soft voice. It is naturally soft and kind
of effeminate sounding.

It feels like another muscle group - separate from the speaking
voice - takes over the production of the tone when singing in
falsetto.

I had what I thought was a very clear understanding of falsetto when
I was a teenager. I was told not to use this voice (and I didn't
want to use it), so I didn't and I developed all kinds of vocal
problems.

Later in life I found I could start a tone in this falsetto voice
and by crescendoing, a new, and different masculine quality
appeared. This is a chest quality being added to the tone -
however, I still feel that the tone is being guided by the muscles
that initially could only produce the lightest of
possible "falsetto" tones.

This is about as much time as I have now to go into it. I hope this
answers your question about what I mean with "falsetto."

John

emusic.com