Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Sun Jan 12, 2003  7:22 am
Subject:  Re: RE:Head voice from falsetto>Some more information about me and my voice.

Nicolas:

Here are some comments below.

Best of luck, and if this is helpful you can contact me privately.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon
--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "iacmf <iacmf@y...>"
<iacmf@y...> wrote:
> Well,let's see.My country is the one that Olympics will take place
> in 2004.(small quiz).
You know, a smart-alec attitude isn't always the best approach when
asking for help...Ok - so that's Greece, right? I would think there
are plenty of competent singing teachers in Greece, and I don't see
why Greek music wouldn't use "head voice".

> I consider myself a bass-low baritone with a chest range around B-
E4#
I find many people make mistakes with the number notation, but anyway
that sounds like a pretty good chest range.

Rather than worrying about "head voice" - look to try and develop a
bit of a "mix" or lightened chest voice in the area below the top of
your chest range - so from say Bb3 (a whole step below middle C -
C4) to Eb4 is your "passagio" (I'm guessing).

One of the issues with the passagio is that there is a loss of
richness/resonance that bothers us - we dislike losing the overtones
as the vocal chords thin, and so we tend to "hang on" and push a
heavy configuration too high. Try go get comfortable with letting go
of a rich tone. It may help to try and monitor your throat/larynx for
tension.

I would add that these are hints - I doubt one can learn to sing well
from reading a post on the internet.

> I am 20 years old and yes,i can vocalise in falsetto.My falsetto
> covers 2 octaves range starting around C4.
Good! If you have access to a falsetto, that's a good start. Some
of us are late bloomers - 20 is still young - you may need more
time. Until then, use the falsetto - work on the following:

a) try to develop a bit of strength taking the breathy falsetto low -
don't do too much of this, but it helps I think.

b) Do descending scales starting fairly high, but not straining, in
the falsetto, and come down as gradually as you can into chest voice.

> Well,according to the lip trill...When i am doing that i have
> exactly the same problem as when normaly vocalising.
> I feel much strain and pressure on my soft,hard palette and neck
> muscles.I get lost as i can't focus the sound where i should.at the
> back and top part of my head.
Don't worry too much for now. Do the lip trills as an easy warm up,
and let it flip into falsetto for now. At least you will be
stretching and thinning your chords - and one day maybe your voice
will surprise you and do something different. Patience!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21856 Re: Head voice from falsetto>Some more information about me and my viacmf <iacmf@y...>iacmf Sun  1/12/2003
21859 Re: Head voice from falsetto>Some more information about me and my vEdward Norton  Sun  1/12/2003
emusic.com