Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  2:03 pm
Subject:  Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!

I have recently discovered the beautiful counter-tenor voice of David Daniels!!
Several friends have been lucky enough to hear him in person and have backed up
my esteem of his voice, of course, based entirely upon what I've heard from his
cds.

I worked with a British-trained counter-tenor quite a number of years ago. He
was of the hooty, Alfred Deller school, heterosexual (lovely wife sang beside
him in my alto section!) and the father of two charming sons! The little
community combined church choirs at Christmas that year to perform Handel's
"Messiah" and David sang "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion". I trained
the alto section for that performance and treated them to recordings of Louise
Homer and Russell Oberlin performing this aria. ALL the female altos selected
Louise as "the man" and Russell as "the woman"!! The day of the performance is
permanently etched in my memory.

The performance went well. David sang "Behold!" and "O thou" with phrases
intact and did an excellent performance. My lyric coloratura sang "Rejoice
greatly" with an interpolated high B flat to the delight of all. Immediately
following the final applause, my Pastor, with a smirk on his face, pulled me
aside and put forth the question, "They are all asking if David is gay!"!! I
never cease to be amazed by the redneck minds of the Southeastern US!! At a
RSCM event a colleague heard countertenors for the first time EVER!! "Damn!
There's a dude up there who looks like a Greenbay Packers tackle and sings like
Marilyn Horne!"!

These counter-tenor voices are indeed fascinating! I once spoke to Russell
Oberlin, who thought of himself as a very, very high tenor voice and stated that
he wasn't a "falsettist". These voices are very light, lyric voices and
traditionally don't pack the volume of a female contralto, lyric, dramatic or
d'agilita.

I've always contended that the mezzo-soprano in all flavors: dramatic, lyric,
dramatic coloratura and lyric coloratura, sings the contralto repertoire. There
are pitifully few contraltos of any flavor anywhere. One day I hope to hear a
genuine contralto. In the meantime, I'm THRILLED to keep purchasing David
Daniels' flawless cds!!

Ed

---------------------------------

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21825 Re: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!Margaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Thu  1/9/2003
21826 Re: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!Karen Mercedessingwiththespirit Thu  1/9/2003
21827 Re: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!Colin Reedcolin_reeduk Thu  1/9/2003
21834 Re: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!Edward Norton  Thu  1/9/2003
21828 Re: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!Christine Thomasmezzoid Thu  1/9/2003
21831 Miss Piggy, was Re: [vocalist] Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors??Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Thu  1/9/2003
21835 Re: Miss Piggy, was Re: [vocalist] Did Somebody Mention Counter-TenoChristine Thomasmezzoid Thu  1/9/2003
21838 Frank Oz, was Miss PiggyMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Thu  1/9/2003
21863 Re: Miss Piggy, was Re: [vocalist] Did Somebody Mention Counter-TenoKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Mon  1/13/2003
emusic.com