Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  1:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:39:38 EST livinnlovinit@a... wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the difference
> between a mezzo, spinto, and lyric
> soprano...then maybe I can figure out which I
> am. Thanks!

The differences have to do with roles in operas. Depending on which roles your
voice is suited for, as a singer you would market yourself as a "spinto" or
"lyric", etc.

For a young singer early in her vocal studies, this level of distinction won't
be known for a while. First your body is still physically maturing, so your
voice isn't yet where it will be. Second, until vocal technique is much
farther along, you can't tell which opera roles would work best in your voice,
and thus which voice type you should market yourself as.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com