Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  1:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Throat Trouble please help!!

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:58:59 -0000 "cool_chica34 <aj_kix@h...>"
<aj_kix@h...> wrote:

> Hey guys, im new here! Im 16, and taking
> lessons from an opera singer. shes pretty well known, and she doesnt like
pop music. well i
> LOVE pop and rock and thats what me and my
> group sing. were a girl pop group. but she said in order for my throat to
stop hurting i have
> to stop singing pop completely for a long time
> and learn more classical or something. i never really opened my throat, and
when i did i had it like i was yawning the whole time! And it felt pretty
good. it didnt hurt for a long time, and shes still telling me not to sing
pop. what should i do!?

I'm just guessing here, since I don't know you and haven't heard you sing.
It's possible that during your time with the teacher, she has observed that
you're not changing your pop style of singing to be consistent with your vocal
health. So she thinks it's better for you not to sing pop at all.

Of course, it's possible to learn to sing in a pop style you'd like in a
vocally healthy way. But it's also possible that this isn't the teacher to
help you do this, since her background is opera.

A question for you is - do you have any ambition to sing opera in the future?
If so, you may want to try your teacher's way for a while - if you change your
mind, there's no harm done to your voice - you can always change your voice
study objectives later to focus on good technique for pop singing.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com