Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  1:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, singingprofumd <Lynn_Marvin@h...> wrote:

> start looking at the baritone rep again. I have been singing
> Mozart and Donizetti arias for baritone. It feels great. I have been
> listening to lyric baritones on the web and thinking to myself
> "Wow, they sound like me!" I think I have finally found my vocal
> home-AGAIN. But the question remains: "Am I treading on
> dangerous waters? Should I simply stick to what I know?" I
> invite your feedback.

You would be in distinguished company, i.e., Ramon Vinay, who started his
career as a baritone, sang for a number of years as a tenor, then returned
to baritone (and even bass-baritone) repertoire. So the precedent is
there.

I'd say, Sing what feels right.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html