Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singingprofumd <Lynn_Marvin@h...
Date:  Wed Jan 8, 2003  5:41 pm
Subject:  From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!

Dear Listers:

I started singing classical music when I was 15 years old (more
than 15 years ago). At that time, I was classified as a baritone. I
continued tosing the lyric baritone rep until about 3 years ago
because I was told over and over again that I was a tenor. I can
sing up to about a high C. And while it is a big voice, it is not a
deep and heavy bass sound.

I studied at New England Conversatory for a while with a
teacher who also thought I was tenor. However, I continued to
have problems because I simply was not comfortable singing in
the tenor range for long periods of time. I have, however, had
moderate success as a tenor. I recently sang the role of Sam in
a local production of Sussanah. While it was a thrilling
experience and I sang the role well, I was uncomfortable much
of time. In the last few weeks, I have decided--on my own--to
start looking at the baritone rep again. I have been singing
Mozart and Donizetti arias for baritone. It feels great. I have been
listening to lyric baritones on the web and thinking to myself
"Wow, they sound like me!" I think I have finally found my vocal
home-AGAIN. But the question remains: "Am I treading on
dangerous waters? Should I simply stick to what I know?" I
invite your feedback.

Marvin
The Singing Prof at the University of Maryland

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21805 Re: From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!Margaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Wed  1/8/2003
21808 Re: From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!Karen Mercedessingwiththespirit Thu  1/9/2003
21813 Re: From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!GWendel Yeegwyee2redshift Thu  1/9/2003
emusic.com