Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barb Roberts <mikebarb@n...>
Date:  Tue Jan 7, 2003  4:02 am
Subject:  Soprano Question

Hello

I was reading on Opera-L a series of e-mail on the subject of "squillo"
or ring. One poster alluded that some, Miller especially, equate
this ring to "the singer's Formant of 2800 Hz" except for certain
voices that lack this formant, notably high, light sopranos. These
voices have a different kind of ring. (How different?) I started to
think (Dangerous, perhaps?)

I also have wondered (for years) about the poor choral blend from the
soprano section of the in the small church choir I sing in. Certainly
differences in vocal technique (or lack thereof) have been factors.
Thus, I always had hope that a combination of training or new recruits
could eventually alleviate problems. However, I after reading the post
on the other list, I began to wonder again if inherent differences
between light and heavier soprano voices could be a factor too? It does
seem to me that it is the lightest, brightest soprano voices that have
the greatest difficulty with blending with our larger, more somewhat
more dramatically voiced soprano. It can be bad.

Perhaps, I should also add that I am a lyric soprano. My voice is
light, but not real light. It is the only on the highest pitches that I
that I personally think that I don't blend well. On high notes our
large-voiced soprano can produces sounds with overtones that rings
above and below below whatever I happen to sing with a tone that is
both darker and more brilliant. Sometimes I feel as if I have lost the
core of whatever note we are singing, and that I have landed on either
the sharp / shrill side and at other times the flat side of the note.
Very disconcerting. The only soprano who blended well with everyonme in
the choir was a lyric soprano with a warmish-toned voice.

Any thoughts?

Barbara Roberts

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21792 Re: Soprano QuestionEdward Norton  Tue  1/7/2003
21793 Re: Soprano QuestionMargaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Tue  1/7/2003
21794 Re: Soprano QuestionEdward Norton  Tue  1/7/2003
21795 Singer's Formant in high voices WAS: Soprano QuestionTako Oda <toda@m...>takooda Tue  1/7/2003
21800 Re: Soprano QuestionBarb Robertsivogun Wed  1/8/2003
21804 Re: Soprano QuestionMargaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Wed  1/8/2003
emusic.com