Vocalist.org archive

From:  Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 5, 2003  8:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] circular breathing

I agree wholeheartedly....
I see now from the other posts on this thread that the term has
different meanings for different people.Dangerous business.... I simply
responded to Kurt's request as this terminology has been used in my
lessons. I am very happy with the information I have received and the
progress I have made in the year I have spent with this new teacher.The
proof is in the pudding and I am singing better, speaking better and am
generally more relaxed with my voice and body.
I have never heard of anyone expected to phonate on the inhale....sounds
pretty ridiculous to me.
The "circle of air" is simply a way of naming the essentially natural
respiratory functions as applied to singing. Not everyone sees or says
it that way nor would I expect them to. It is not the only terminology
used in my lessons either......There is a diversity out there in
concept and practice that I not only respect but celebrate. I think
that in the end we are all looking for vocal efficiency and freedom and
the best tools for the maximum in vocal expression. Hopefully we all
find the right person who can help us and in the most effecient way
possible.
Alexandra

Sharon Szymanski wrote:

> Good organic breathing
> (using the "reflexive" properties of our natural breathing apparatus),
>
> well coordinated with appropriate onset and efficient regulation of
> the
> air for singing, covers every need I (or my many diverse students) has
>
> ever had.
>
> Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com