Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  9:33 pm
Subject:  circular breathing

Circular breathing is one of the "extended" vocal techniques that some
composers require performers to use. It involves phonating on inhalation
(this same concept is occasionally used in voice therapy as well).
Probably the most well known practitioner of "circular breathing" is
Joan La Barbara. A search on Google will turn up lots of information on
her career and recordings. I had to use inhaled singing rapidly
alternating with regular singing on specific pitches in a choral piece
(Fire) by the Canadian composer R. Murray Schafer. Needless to say,
after the premier at Expo 86 and the subsequent recording, we vowed
never to do the piece again as it was just too stressful.
Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21760 Re: circular breathingSharon Szymanskisszymanski27514 Sat  1/4/2003
21762 Re: circular breathingChristine Thomasmezzoid Sat  1/4/2003
21764 Re: circular breathingJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Sat  1/4/2003
21773 Re: circular breathingAlexandra Zavilowiczzavilowicz Sun  1/5/2003
emusic.com