Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  3:25 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Teacher-Student Written Contract Question

Sharon,
I totally agree with you on the advance payment issue. I was told by a music
teacher in the late 70s that it was the ONLY route to go and that I should NEVER
take fees by the lesson if I plan to pay any bills with the lesson fees. There
is simply too much risk that the student will get distracted by something and
not show and then show 2 weeks later and the money will fall short. The
semester concept is pretty new to me. I think, given the state of the US
economy, it's a bit of a stretch to have folks pay for 3 months at a time, but
that's just me. It seems to add in alot of bookkeeping. I'm pretty fine with
monies due by the 1st but no later than the 5th of the month.
Ed
Sharon Szymanski <szy@n...> wrote:

(For those who cannot pay for a "semester," why not keep it really
simple and
just have payment due at each lesson, before it begins? This works
really
well for me.)

I'm glad it works well for you, but I would fear the loss of income if
students were, for whatever reason, unable to actually make the lesson.
You have reserved your time for them, but if they do not show up, you
may not get paid, or may have to spend time and effort collecting from
them for a missed lesson. Having some form of "pre-payment" helps
insure that you do not fall into this situation and seems to help the
students take the commitment more seriously in my experience.

Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com