Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider <snide76258@y...
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  1:29 pm
Subject:  Basses and baritones

Also, many roles once the exclusive domain of baritones have become
occasionally, or even exclusively perofromed by basses: Scarpia,
Amonasro, Escamillo, etc. in fact, the GREATEST bass role of all,
Boris Godunov, is a baritone role. I think it was Chaliapin who made
it a bass standard. (Many consider him a baritone, anyway!)

On a similar note, I have a friend who is a low bass. He bills
himself as a "bass-baritone" because all he was getting offered
were "old men" parts.

Many years ago, I found a 19th-century libretto for Wagner's Ring.
The roles were listed in five categories:

Sopran
Alt
Tenor
Hoher Bass
Tiefer Bass

The only role in the last category was the giant/dragon Fafner. Very
interesting!

emusic.com