Vocalist.org archive

From:  Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  5:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RARE VOCAL TECHNIQUE(CIRCULAR SINGING)

Hi Kurt,
I apologize for not responding immediately. In addition to having an
overwhelming schedule during the holidays I needed to think long and
hard about how to most effectively answer your question. I have just
arrived in Bartlesville Oklahoma and am catching up with my
correspondence on my new laptop so here goes.....
The most effective vocal study is done in the studio under the guidance
of a teacher .Real gains are made while doing not while reading about
it. In singing , there is such a huge gap between the word and the
actual experience.We only make gains through experience.
The reason you have found so little written material is because this
information has always been passed down from teacher to student in the
daily lessons.There is very little and it only makes sense to those who
have already studied. To others it seems too obvious to be useful. There
are the writings of Manuel Garcia Jr. with his wisdom in the
vocalises,if you want to look at exercises.....I don't think that one
can do much without a teacher's guidance. I tried for a year but the gap
between intellectual understanding and actual practice (I didn't have an
outside ear to listen to me) was too great and I made little
progress.What needed to be fixed was simple but it took an outside ear
and awareness to effect truly useful change.I am amazed now at the
difference in the way my voice functions.I can actually do those long
phrases in Vivaldi on one breath.
Circular breathing ..... Some call it "Keeping the moving circle of
air".The singing voice depends on the constant movement of the air in
its natural path. Inhaled through the nose and up into the resonators in
the head and then down into the rest of the respiratory tract. When
singing one sends the air back along the same path (high into the head
prevents waste)....Effecient and constant moving of the air is the focus
....a simple but loaded explanation. In practice we very often do
everything else but this one fundamental thing. There are other elements
to consider here in order to sing one's best but this is step one.I dare
not say more as I am not articulate enough to write a complete internet
voice treatise(which would be truly useless) and would not want to be
responsible for the inevitable confusion.
My teacher studied with Dame Eva Turner while she lived here in the
States and then with a very old student of Garcia and went on to coach
with Tagliavini and Gedda. Dame Eva gave him his vocal foundation and
psychological approach. Many of the students from her Oklahoma days
teach here in the States . I'm sure there must be teachers in the UK who
worked with her.She taught many fine singers who had excellent carreers
and spent her last years back home in England. My suggestion is that you
hunt down a student of hers. It is essential that you have someone to
guide you as you explore new sensations. Give yourself the gift of
study. With the right person it is truly uplifting.
All the best for a wonderful New Year!
Alexandra

kurt felix wrote:

> Dear Ms. Zavilowics, I've just returned from a
> holidays vacation, Im still very much interested in
> this technique of circular singing/breathing, out of
> which it may help me in my artistic expression in
> singing those long phrases in song....that are just
> the beginning of the song!
>
> I dont know whether or not you recieved my first
> request for info, but i haven't seen anything in my
> mail box for bout 2 weeks now
>
> I'm asking you again, please send me the theory of
> this technique and the exercises involved as well, as
> I would like to practice this right away if it's
> possible for me to do that without excess strain to my
> chords
>
> i thank you for taking the time to reply and also
> appreciate it very much
>

> --- Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
> wrote:
>
> <HR>
>

> <tt>
> Yes I do. It is the way I am currently being taught.
> It is not all that<BR>
> rare however many people just don't conceive of their
> technique in that<BR>
> way. Others find the simplicity of the explanation too
> simple to accept<BR>
> and run off to find something more complicated to
> believe in. It is just<BR>
> another way of seeng the voice and getting it to work.
> There are many<BR>
> ways but the most important thing is that they give
> you the necessary<BR>
> tools to be free and expressive to the maximum.<BR>
> What would you like to know?<BR>
> Alexandra<BR>
> <BR>
> &quot;KURT &quot; wrote:<BR>
> <BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Hi, does anyone know anything about the process
> of circular<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; breathing/singing for vocalists....not woodwind/
> wind<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; instrumentalists.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>

gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp\
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb\

;

> [Image]<BR>
> <BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;
> &gt;<BR>
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> removed]<BR>
> <BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>

> of Service</a>.</tt>

[HGTV Dream Home Giveaway]

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21754 Re: RARE VOCAL TECHNIQUE(CIRCULAR SINGING)Amanda Kelleymandasings Sat  1/4/2003
emusic.com