Vocalist.org archive

From:  Debra Johnson <debbiejo53142@y...>
Date:  Fri Jan 3, 2003  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Grieg sugggestions

Hi Lloyd:

Thanks for quoting with such authority!

I think I'll keep "Vaaren" in landsmal and, if I do
any Grieg songs by Danish poets, I'll announce they
are being sung in Danish rather than Norwegian until I
can hear the Norwegian versions. The two languages
share much vocabulary but are very different in
pronunciation: Danish uses stress where Norwegian uses
tonality; Danish is very soft, fluid and guttural;
Norwegian is crisp and enunciated and sounds high,
clipped and compressed (to my ears).

I have also heard the word "poelsespraak" (sausage
language) applied but whether to riksmal or landsmal,
I don't know.

Thanks again for all the information!

Deb.