Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 2, 2003  10:47 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Student-Teacher Contracts Question...

(I have colleagues who are divided on providing written student-teacher
contracts (fees for entire month due by 5th of the month, 24 hrs advance
notice for cancellations, missed lessons are missed lessons, etc, etc)
and wondered what everyone felt about this here.)

I charge students by the term (was 16 weeks, is now 18 weeks, 10 weeks
in summer) and allow them to pay half at the beginning and half in the
middle of the term. Special arrangements may be made to pay by the
month as well, but this is rarely requested. This enables me to rely on
a certain income (necessary in my case). I give 1 makeup lesson to each
student per semester ( in addition to any I may need to makeup due to
conflicts I have had). I am president of our local music teachers
association, and I would say that most are moving toward a pre-payment
approach, otherwise it is too easy for a student to simply not show up
and for income to be lost.

Hope this helps.

emusic.com