Vocalist.org archive

From:  "katherine94040 <modulate58@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 1, 2003  8:37 pm
Subject:  Last night's Porgy and Bess on PBS

Didn't tape it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the singing. I think the
soprano, Indra Thomas, is a "made woman" after last night. The
Summertime was a little light for her, but once she got into My Man's
Gone Now and the Bess music, she shone. She is also very pretty which
won't hurt.I just wish she had lost the red coat - trying to have the
Jessye Norman thing going, I guess. Laurence Brownlee is an awesome
singer. He was a little square in his approach unfortunately, but the
vocalisation was wonderful. And of course, Willard White is a long
time favorite. He was overpowered in voice size by the soprano, but
the sound was magnificent. Considering I am frequently - if not
usually - disappointed by singers I hear, this was a rare exception.
The Philharmonic sounded under-rehearsed???

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21692 Re: Last night's Porgy and Bess on PBSLeslie Smith  Thu  1/2/2003
emusic.com