Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Dec 28, 2002  5:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Repertoire Refresher???

Domisosing@a... wrote:

> 2 gentlemen/both seniors in high school. They are both tenors, and can easily
> sing in their head voices around A/Bflat/C. However, since their voices are
> not mature yet, I would like to find material that is melodious and lyrical
> and does not require them to sustain for extended amounts of time in the
> upper areas. Interestingly though, both singers have a richer timbre to
> their voice that would allow them to convincingly sing songs with a little
> heavier lyrical content.

Check out the English composer Peter Warlock (his pen
name). He sets excellent texts, including Elizabethan
texts, and the music is very interesting, but readily
accessible. A couple of Purcell songs have been
suggested,with which I concur. And there are more great
Purcell songs, too. you might want to invest in the
colletion from International of 30 or so for high voice.

> 2 ladies: Both sopranos, one very light and high, other high, but darker
> color....perhaps leaning more towards the mezzo-ish side as she matures. Both
> love to do musical theatre, but are also classically trained musicians and
> can handle music that is a little more difficult. For the lighter soprano, I
> am looking for something along the lines of "Bel piacere". For the mezzo, I
> was thinking something along the lines of Black Swan/Menotti (?), or Must the
> Winter come so soon?.......

For your lighter soprano, if she can handle coloratura, the
Purcell "Hark the Echoing Air" is a lot of fun and very
impressive if well done. Also "Sweeter than Roses". And
the two sopranos may have fun with the "Sound the Trumpets"
duet.

For your darker-voiced soprano, check out "Il fuggi
traditor" (I think that's the title), the short Donna Elvira
aria from the first act of Don Giovanni, after the catalogue
aria and before the quartet. You'd probably have to get that
one from the opera score, as I don't recall its being in any
of the anthologies.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21664 Re: Repertoire Refresher???Leslie Smith   Sun  12/29/2002

emusic.com