Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Dec 28, 2002  12:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording preferences

Reg wrote:

>Similarly with the dubbing to PC thence CD. Why use
>anything more expensive than an analog dubbing cable
>if the quality obtained is acceptable. It may even be wiser
>to expend the money saved on a better sound card for
>your computer.

If I have a digital source I always transfer it to computer digitally
in order to avoid two conversions between digital and analog and to
avoid any possibility of clipping (signal greater than the absolute
limit). There are several good, and not very expensive, ways to get
digital sound into a computer. I'm currently using the Edirol UA-3:
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua3d.html Available for $180
Edirol UA-3FX USB Audio Capture & Playback Device this unit handles both analog and digital audio. It is very clean,
with almost no noise added to the signal when bringing in analog
audio.

Another unit I've used is the Edirol UA-1D:
Edirol UA-1X USB Audio Interface this unit is for digital only.

If you want to stick to analog and don't mind a little buzz in your
analog audio you could go with the Griffin iMic for $35:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html The iMic
does not have an input fader so if your signal is too loud and it
clips you're out of luck unless you run it through a mixing board
first.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21656 Re: Recording preferencesJames bandbau Sat  12/28/2002

emusic.com