Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Thu Dec 26, 2002  7:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RARE VOCAL TECHNIQUE

Circular breathing:

If my understanding of circular breathing as it refers to instrumentalists is
correct, then there is not way that I know of to learn this skill as a
singer. For instrumentalists, the vibrator is outside the body so that the
airway can be kept open at all times. However, since the vibrator (vocal
folds) are inside the body, and in fact must close to make sound, there would
be no way to simultaneously sing while inhaling which means the vocal folds
must be open in order to allow air into the lungs. (Weeeelllll, I have heard
of some people with spasmodic dysphonia learning how to speak on the
inhalation, but I'm fairly certain this would not be an aesthetically
pleasing sound for the singer. )

I am fascinated by this skill, and would like to know more.

Mary Beth Felker
The Voice Project
SLS Associate

emusic.com