Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Thu Dec 26, 2002  2:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pitch blues

I am the vocalist of a heavy metal band...... My problem is after singing
two/three songs my throat feels tired and I cant sing at high pitches any
longer.... somebody please help.....

Saptarshi

***************
Well, besides the obligatory "Get a voice teacher" advice, here's one quick fix
-- check the position of your microphone. If you have it cranked up so that you
are craning your chin upwards to sing into it, you are going to put a lot of
strain on your larynx (just try to talk that way and see how you sound). Make
sure you aren't gulping for air (if you can hear your breath, there's some
resistance). But you really need to learn how to breathe low and support the
sound as best you can (without losing the vocal integrity of the style). And
you need an ear to hear what you're doing amplified and unamplified to make sure
you aren't hurting yourslelf. You only get one set of vocal cords in this life
- take care of them.

I have the fire, I have the force
I have the power to make my evil take its course

CAUSE I AM SCARAB OF THE LEGION OF DOOM AND APOCALYPSE

And Merry Christmas to you too!

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

emusic.com