Vocalist.org archive

From:  Robert Harris <lds@s...>
Date:  Tue Dec 24, 2002  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording preferences

At 09:33 AM 12/24/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings and Happy Holidays to all!
>
>I'm looking for a device to record my practice sessions and was
>wondering if anyone has suggestions. ...

I highly recommend using a mini disc (MD) recorder. Any brand of MD
recorder will record with CD-level accuracy--the weak link is the
microphone. I use a Sony ECM-MS907 microphone feeding a Sony MZ-R90 MD
recorder, which produces amazing sound quality. For the first time in my
life, I really know what my voice sounds like. And combined, they are so
small they will fit in my pocket.

I have found that recording my practice sessions gives me immediate
feedback about diction, tone quality, vowel production, breathing, etc.
which has substantially improved my progress as a singer. And when I am
preparing a song, I will sometimes record and listen phrase by phrase. Its
a great tool for a vocal student.

The mini discs themselves are expensive--about $2/each. But since you can
record on them many times, you only need a few unless you want an archive
of your progress.

Bob Harris

emusic.com