Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 23, 2002  3:34 am
Subject:  re: iron & irony

>Ah but Naomi I believe you also have a problem
>with the linguistics of "gaol" "buoy " and "forehead".
>I protest that they, and "irony," are in fact
>related by the common alphabet and the associated
>sounds. Now you compare tote and total.
>Both pronounced the same as "tote" and I'd love to
>hear how you pronounce anecdote. :)

Please reread my message: I suggested comparing TOT and TOTAL.
Despite the shared first three letters, the vowel sounds are
different in these two words (at least as pronounced in the US). My
contention is that just because two words look the same on paper
doesn't mean they will sound the same. An etymological relationship
cannot be assumed, nor can rhyme.

>Your "Boo..ee" alone, for "Buoy" (boy), causes
>great mirth the world over. :) Reg.

I'm sure it does. I try to avoid saying that word entirely!!

> >>Not to mention the fact that..IRONY..or IRONIC are
> >>pronounced eye.ron.ee and eye..ron..ick. In Oz anyway. :)
> >
> >Ah yes, but iron and irony are not linguistically related, despite so
> >many shared letters. Thus their pronunciations should not be
> >expected to match. (Compare tot and total.) : )
> >
> >Your nitpicky correspondent,
> >Naomi

emusic.com