Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Thu Dec 19, 2002  2:18 pm
Subject:  In dulci jubilo - Latin translation

I'm doing "In dulci jubilo" on a Christmas Eve job this year, and I
wanted to run my Latin translations by you all as my skills are not
great in this area. I'll print the whole text below with the Latin
phrases followed by my attempted translations. I hope this is clear.
(By the way, I'm doing verses 1, 2, and 4. Also the English text is
provided in the edition I'm doing and is admittedly a very loose
translation of the original German.)

Thanks for any feedback you might provide.

IN DULCI JUBILO

In dulci jubilo --- In sweet jubilation
Now sing with hearts aglow
Our delight and pleasure
Lies in praesepio --- in the creche
Like sunshine is our treasure
Matris in gremio --- on his mother's lap
Alpha es et O! --- He is the alpha & the omega
Alpha es et O! --- He is the alpha & the omega

O Jesu parvule --- o tiny Jesus
For thee I long alway
Comfort my heart's blindness
O puer optimae --- o perfect boy
With all thy lovingkindness
O princeps gloriae --- o glorious Prince
Trahe me post te --- draw me close to you
Trahe me post te --- draw me close to you

Ubi sunt gaudia --- where are there joys
In any place but there?
There are angels singing
Nova cantica --- new songs
And there the bells are ringing
In regis curia --- in the court of the King
O that we were there!
O that we were there!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21579 Re: In dulci jubilo - Latin translationMargaret L. Harrison peggyliebman Thu  12/19/2002

emusic.com