Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Dec 18, 2002  7:40 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

Carl wrote:

> Begin by your matching tones to his that you ask him to sing. Do this
> first with just single tones, then with two or three-note patterns. If this
is successful, I'm not sure how you would proceed further.

+++

Before I try any pitch matching at all, I help the student learn to identify
high, medium, and low areas (ranges) within his/her own voice and get
comfortable producing non-specific pitches in each area on demand. This seems
to help them sort it all out and get more sophisticated with their ear/voice
coordination. From there we work on specific pitch matching -- first I match
them, and then they match me (or the piano, whichever works best). Gradually we
progress to pitch patterns, and finally easy, familiar songs like Happy Birthday
or Row Your Boat.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21573 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Thu  12/19/2002

emusic.com