Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Dec 18, 2002  8:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Holiday greetings and pronunciation question

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:56:05 -0700 "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
wrote:
>In fact the "uh" vowel is the closest the voice can get to an absolutely
open sound that gives maximum resonance to the vocal instrument. It is for
this reason that it is automatically used when we yell loudly for help

Lloyd, that's the first I've heard of that. Tell me more - about evidence on
people "automatically" using the vowel in dangerous situations. I imagine
that if I were yelling for help, my first reactoin would be to yell "Help" and
if I thought about it, "call 911" (as I was taught in CPR training). If I
wanted my sound to project a long distance, I would make what I imagine is my
most efficient sound, which is a siren-like "o" vowel. When I used to yell at
my (now-departed) incorrigible terriers, what would always get their
attention, in my voice at least, was "Hey"! Or my siren-sound, which would
also make them to howl it back to me!

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21567 Re: Holiday greetings and pronunciation questionLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  12/18/2002

emusic.com