Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Wed Dec 18, 2002  3:05 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

>Yes, he can do that... He can also recognize veeeeeery known tunes
>like Happy Birthday,

Then he _does have at least some ability to recognize pitches, and is
therefore not tone-deaf, unless he is recognizing them fromm the
rhythm. CAn he recognize Happy Birthday if you sing each note as a
quarter? (I.e., with distorted rhythm, without words, but with the
correct sequence of pitches.)

> but if we go to something more "complicated"
>that he, of course, knows, like tunes of songs of Bruce Springsteen,

Even though I like Bruce Springsteen, I would venture to guess that
the problem may be the lack of sufficient melodic content in Bruce's
songs.

>What I see is that what he cannot do is to "imitate" a note, that is,
>if I sing a note, whichever, he cannot repeat it. Not even an
>approximation of half tone or so...

As I've written before, _that does not show that he is tone-deaf.

>I could send you a copy of une recorded conversation (in English, I
>guess that would be better...),

Actually I'd like to hear him speaking his first language as well as English.

Who's afraid of spammers? Send it to johnlink@n....

>And, may I suggest you to have a look to www.wilfart.com? Is the
>website of the singing method I follow, with Mr. Serge Wilfart and,
>as I told you, is based, inter alia, in the Feldenkrais Method,

I glanced at the site yesterday and will look at it more carefully.
What an unfortunate name!

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21554 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Wed  12/18/2002

emusic.com