Vocalist.org archive

From:  norma bowen <normasings2000@y...>
Date:  Tue Dec 17, 2002  2:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Holiday greetings and pronunciation question

What about eye-un?
"Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:22:17 -0800 Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
wrote:

> Dear listers,
> I would like to wish you all a very festive
> holiday season from the very
> green and very wet West Coast of Canada. I'm
> heading to Ontario and will
> be away from my email for about 10 days, but in
> the meantime, how do you
> pronounce the word 'iron' in the aria Thou
> Shalt Break Them from
> Messiah? Is it eye-ron, eye-run, eye-earn or
> something else entirely?

There should be no "R" sound of any sort. I recommend aI-aN (Schwa on the
second syllable, but my keyboard doesn't have one). Stress on the first
syllable, much softer on the second syllable - in relative terms mf to p for
the two syllables (I don't know the dynamics in the piece).

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com