Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Mon Jun 5, 2000  2:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Translations/Dictionaries

At 11:38 PM 6/4/00 -0700, Karena wrote:

>I have been trying to translate a couple songs from the 24 Italian
>Greatest Hits - Lasciatemi morire and Vittoria, mio core, and I am having
>a really hard time. Does anyone know where I can find word for word
>translations of these songs, and even better, if there is a dictionary
>available that translates archaic and poetic Italian? While we're at it,
>how about poetic/archaic German and French?

For those particular two songs, you might try to get hold of a
copy of the newer incarnation (with *26* songs), also published by
Schirmer/Hal Leonard. Some of the texts are different, but I think those
two are same (I don't have the music with me at the moment), and you'll
find a word-for-word translation, as well as an "idiomatic" translation
(not to mention IPA).

In general, check your library for the "Word for Word Translations
of Songs and Arias" (Burton Coffin, Scarecrow Press [I think] - again, I
don't have the books with me). It comes in two volumes, Italian &
German/French, and contains translations for a great amount (although by no
means all) of the standard repertoire.

As for dictionaries including poetic/archaic words, I'm sure there
must be something out there, but I don't know. Check the Diction Domain
home page; perhaps they'll have something listed.

Good luck!

Leslie J.

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

emusic.com