Vocalist.org archive

From:  Andrea Soto Véres <andreasotoveres@h...>
Date:  Tue Dec 17, 2002  8:32 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

Dear John,

Yes!!!!! I have tried that and he does not recognize the tune if I
don't put the words... And, singing one wrong note intentionally and
he being able to notice? Not really.. Also tried...

He once sang "Happy Birthday" in one party and I couldn't recognize
de song!!! None of the notes he sang were correct... Obviously, there
are people who do not sing on tune, but you can recognize what are
they singing (my father is sooooooo funny...).

Is not that he wants to be a professional singer, but maybe it would
be fine to improve his singing... I also believe that if he sings
wrong is because he also speaks wrong (the breathing, the tessiture,
the relaxation...).

Again... any ideas?? I have tried everything...

Cheers!!

Andrea.

P.S. By the way... I saw in your e-mail a link to Feldenkrais... It's
funny, because the singing method I'm following is related to the
Feldenkrais Method (La Méthode Wilfart: www.wilfart.com)(and yes...
other vocalists have already made fun of the name...)

> Not necessarily. Can he recognize what song you are singing if you
> omit the words? (Try it with some songs like "Happy Birthday" or
> "Row, row, row" or "Three Blind Mice".) Can he tell if you sing a
> wrong note? (Do that intentionally.) If so, then he is not tone-
deaf,
> he just doesn't know how to produce pitches with any sort of skill,
> and those two skills are distinct from each other.
>
> I suspect that there are very, very few people who are tone-deaf,
> even though there are many who have not learned to sing even
> approximately in tune.
>
> John Link
>
> P.S. Sorry if I'm repeating something that has already been said,
as
> I haven't read any of the previous posts in this thread.
>
> http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21535 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Tue  12/17/2002
21546 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Wed  12/18/2002
21553 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Wed  12/18/2002
21554 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Wed  12/18/2002

emusic.com