Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...>
Date:  Sat Dec 14, 2002  3:28 am
Subject:  Two Chest Voices, wasChest to Mix, was Re: Too Many Low Notes

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Greypins@a... wrote:

> i have to say, i don't understand your thinking here, as
well some
> others that might agree with you. low notes are the easiest
until they get
> lower than where one speaks. it is the same machine. if you
think low
> notes are harder than talking low then, the way you are singing is
worse than
> the way you are talking.
>
> is it that you are afraid that if you get out of a 'mix',
you won't
> remember where you put it? (why not leave a trail of
breadcrumbs?) i
> don't get it.
>
> mike

No. I am suggesting that EVERY note needs a balance of chest voice
and head voice in order for the tone to be optimum. Most people
don't use their head voice when they speak, therefore, telling them
to just use their speaking voice at it's "natural range" often means
that they eliminate a vital part of their tone - the headvoice.
Spoken in different terminology, the cricothyroids need to be
active - even if in only the smallest way - in the lowest performing
notes, just as the arytenoids need to be active - even if in only
the smallest way - in the highest performing notes. The middle of
the range should be more of an even mix between the two muscle
groups. So, I guess I am suggesting the singer should try to never
actually leave the "mix."

I hope I have explained this idea better - even if you don't agree
with it.

John

emusic.com