Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 12, 2002  9:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Is vibrato important?

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:11 EST pacergirlkristi@w... wrote:

> My voice has never had any vibrato qualities
> until I begin pushing it further
> than I really should. I truthful prefer the
> legato (pardon spelling) sound. I
> guess that my question is Is vibrato something
> that all classically trained
> singers should strive for or is it just
> personal preference?
> Kristi

I think the book answer is that the goal for classical vocal training is for
your voice to be able to do whatever you want it to, in a healthy manner,
within the limits of your instrument. And classical vocal training assumes
that any healthy voice is capable of producing an attractive-sounding vibrato.

That said, it is possible that you do sing with vibrato under normal
circumstances, but you are not aware of it. For example, I have heard singers
in class situations who say that they are singing without vibrato, and but I
hear a vibrato; a minimal, non-distracting vibrato.

Some singers hear other singers who have a very wide vibrato, a very fast
vibrato or an uneven vibrato, and believe that's the "vibrato" that classical
singing teachers want their students to strive for. Which is NOT the case in
my experience. However, sometimes in the process of moving from an inability
to sing with vibrato (which once was me) to singing with an attractive vibrato
(which is now me), one might pass through a stage with an unattractive vibrato
(which I did).

Also, in my own singing, when I attempt to sing with a straight tone, without
vibrato, I sometimes tend to sing under pitch the , because I haven't
copmletely mastered the technique of singing a straight tone that's in tune.

However, other singers can easily sing a beautiful in-tune straight tone. And
there are many types of singing (such as early music, or British church choir
music) that place a high value on that ability. So if that's you, and that's
the kind of music you like to sing, then you need not change a thing!

But if you want to sing romantic opera, you will want to acquire a vocal
technique that includes a full, attractive, vibrato.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21449 Re: was [vocalist] Is vibrato important? for peggymimimemeus <mimimemeus@y...> mimimemeus Thu  12/12/2002
21452 Re: was [vocalist] Is vibrato important? for peggyMargaret L. Harrison peggyliebman Thu  12/12/2002
21457 Re: Is vibrato important?Colin Reed colin_reeduk Fri  12/13/2002

emusic.com