Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Wed Dec 11, 2002  11:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Chest to Mix, was Re: Too Many Low Notes

Thanks, Mike.
But how can you chide me about practicing with the "clutch" when you yourself
haven't found
the <SHIFT> key? (sorry--couldn't resist).

It's interesting to think about shifting registers as one ascends a vocal scale.
As I recall,
one school says there are only two registers, chest and falsetto; while other
schools describe
numerous registers, practically a new one with each full tone. I seem to sense
several
transition points as my voice rises: chest, mixed, head, etc. But then even
within the head
voice, there are transitions at Bb4 and C#5. I top out at about the F5 above
the staff; after
which it breaks into a falsetto which peaks at the soprano's A sometimes. The
"work" of
singing seems to increase as the pitch rises within each register until one
moves across the
transition so that the low note of the higher register is easier to sing that
the highest note
of the lower register. This is all very subjective, so my description may not
make sense.
Anyway, how many registers are there? Does it vary from one singer to another?

Greypins@a... wrote:
> i think you would be better off thinking of your voice as a varying
>spectrum rather than an 'all over beige', as you seem to be treating your
>mix. it sounds like you are trying to do everything in third gear. while
>third gear is great for 20 to 35 or 40 mph, it's hard to start a car in third
>gear and it makes highway driving unpleasant. you'd be better off switching
>gears, even if it requires much more practice with the clutch.

GWendel, tenor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21438 Chest to Mix, was Re: Too Many Low NotesMichael <chosdad@y...> chosdad Thu  12/12/2002

emusic.com