Vocalist.org archive

From:  David Cox <davidcox@c...>
Date:  Mon Jun 5, 2000  4:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: American School of Countertenors and Falsetto

Tako Oda wrote:

> A falsettist does, as you say, use only the
> edge of his full-length vocal cords, using breath pressure as the
> primary determinant of pitch--

I don't understand falsetto as operating like this. I thought that the
primary determinants of falsetto were: the lack of complete adduction
(leading to the often perceptible breathiness of tone) and the stiffness of
the vocal fold covering layer (leading to a less rich source spectrum).
However, as far as I was aware, pitch is still controlled in the normal
way. I do notice that I can vary breath pressure greatly with no effect
on pitch at all. Conversely, dramtic chamges in pitch do not seem to be
correlated to changes in pressure (although I have no measurements of this
and could of course be completely mistaken!).

Otherwise, many thanks to Tako for his consitently illuminating remarks on
the subject.

Cheers

David

David Cox
36 Toronto St, Ovingham South Australia 5082
Ph/Fax 61 8 8344 7044

emusic.com