Vocalist.org archive

From:  Andrea Soto Véres <andreasotoveres@h...>
Date:  Tue Dec 10, 2002  9:11 am
Subject:  Wilfart? was Re: Re-introducing myself :-)

Hi!!!

Indeed, it is the name of a guy named Serge Wilfart, French tenor
from Belgian origin, who, jointly with one of his disciples, Martine
Reyners, is one of my teachers.
The method itself consist in re-harmonizing and re-constructing the
human body through the voice and through the breathing. In that way,
we do not learn the chest voice or the head voice and/or falsetto,
but to use our "instrument" as a single tube (like the ones in a
church organ...) beginning from the lowest part of the pelvis and
finishing in the highest part of the head, without any interruption
or "change of register".
This method parts from the premise that people who sing false also
speak and breathe false, and that they have blockages or tensions in
determinated parts of their bodies that do not allow the voice to go
freely through the tube and, through it, out of our body via the
mouth.
In order to achieve that, determinate "positions" (to call it
somehow...) help to unblock those parts of the body which are
blocked, and singers are asked to sing in those positions.
What is different from other methods (or at least, I feel is
different as I have also studied with classical methods) is that in
this one, the teacher do not try to "fabricate" a beautiful voice,
not mattering whether the student has this "beautiful voice" or not.
What the method tries to achieve is to find the "real" voice of the
student, with some surprises sometimes... For example, due to my
height (not so much, being honest...) and to my physical appearence,
and to the voice I "used to" have, I had been classified as a very
light soprano during many years, with the consequence that all my
previous teachers tried to "fabricate" this type of voice for me...
The other consequence of this "elaboration" was me being completely
without voice during two years every single morning, recovering my
voice arround midday. This was due to the tension that, as a
consequence of the "wrong" classification and the "fabrication" of
the voice, my body was experimenting.
After one year of listening to me (and me listening to myself...), my
teacher helped my to find my real voice, being "classified" as a very
broad lyrico-dramatical soprano. My voice had no low harmonics and
now it has it, as well as the high ones, of course...
The best I can advice to those interested in the method is to read
the web page in its French version (is more complete) if possible,
and if not, to read it in its English one... I would also recommend
to read both books Serge has publicated: "Le chant de l'étre"
and "L'espérit du chant". There are versions in English, I believe,
as I have read them in French...
Anycase, just ask me whatever you want, and I will try to be as most
accurate as possible... If I cannot answer, you can always send a
mail the the Wilfart Secretariat itself via the e-mail address that
you will find in the website...

I hope I could answer the question of "summarizing" the method in one
message, as it is really difficult to summarize one life (Serge's
one) in one mail...

Best regards,

Andrea.

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Michael <chosdad@y...>"
<chosdad@y...> wrote:
> Dear Andrea and List:
>
> --- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Soto Véres
> <andreasotoveres@h...> <andreasotoveres@h...> wrote:
> >My name is Andrea, and I'm a Spanish soprano currently studying
and
> > working in Belgium.
> > Also following a special singing methode, the Wilfart Methode
> > (www.wilfart.com).
>
> Welcome Andrea, and thanks for the nice introduction.
>
> I see the referral to the web-site, but this list seems to have a
lot
> of lazy people (me too, sometimes ;), or at least people who just
> receive the emails and don't use their browser. So, can you
> summarize briefly for us the "Wilfart" method - sounds funny in
> English, but I gather it is named for a man with that name... How
> does it contrast with other methods you have been exposed to?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

emusic.com