Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Dec 9, 2002  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fw: biological foundations of music

Following the musical suprise makes for a "hit" idea... Maybe with
great pieces of music, they have a very high level of inner coherence
and complexity, so that the brain gets a "fix" of musical "suprise"
everytime it is listened to. With dinky art, you get it the first
time. For instance, I see new things everytime I see the
movie "Brazil", and I've seen it a gazillion times.

Another possibility is that the built in surprises are at odds in a
peculiar way to musical convention so that it is a little thrill
every time, simply due to our daily conditioning.

Like the funky meter of the Adagio for Strings (an example in that
post) is just a teeny bit off from what you expect that it teases you
every time even when you sort of expect it. Sorry for blathering, I'm
sleepy.

Tako

Greypins@a... wrote:
> it seems that this would indicate that we become bored with
music once
> we know it and yet, we all know that we grow more attached to music
we love
> the more we listen to it. does this mean that the neural pathways
that are
> affected by music are not the same ones that remember music?

emusic.com