Vocalist.org archive

From:  Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
Date:  Sun Dec 8, 2002  6:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fog Machines?

> michele,
>
> a year or two ago, we had a lengthy discussion on the
> subject. i
> find myself on the 'grow up and sing' side of things. whether
> something
> legitimately affects singer or not, is hard to judge. it is my
> impression
> that singers, especially opera singers, are some of the most
> superstitious
> people who ever walked the face of the earth. i am under the
> impression
> that the whiners will always be complaining about the fog machines
> long
> before they ever encounter one then, go to a smoke filled bar to have
> a drink
> to calm their nerves.
>
> mike

This "whiner" found herself onstage singing "Stride la Vampa" opposite a
cauldron spewing forth fog from the machine within. I had never worked
with fog before. The burning and drying were terrifying. No, I did not
go into a smoke filled bar to calm my nerves afterwards. I went home to
recover.

I found your generalization unkind. Singers have greater or lesser
sensitivity to any number of factors and for a variety of
reasons,superstition being on the bottom of the list. We each do what is
necessary to assure professional reliability and continued vocal
health. Are you a singer? If you are one of the fortunate performers
never to have been so compromised,I'm glad you've been so blessed.

Sincerely,
Alexandra Zavilowicz

emusic.com