Vocalist.org archive

From:  Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
Date:  Sun Dec 8, 2002  5:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fog Machines health effects

Dear listers,
As per the suggestion made, I'd like to introduce myself. For the most
part I lurk and catch up on posts once or twice a week. I've posted
twice in brief response to requests for information.
I'm a mezzo soprano living in the NY area. I had performed quite bit
until a few years ago when I stopped and just took some time off.
I wasn't happy with my vocal production and wanted more to know more
about acting. I've since taken class with an acting teacher trained by
Miss Welch at the Yale Drama School and found a voice teacher with whom
I've been getting my vocal production in order.His teachers were Dame
Eva Turner and Theodore Harrison. It has been wonderful working with
these two excellent mentors who have passed on to me
information,technique and attitude acquired from these master teachers
of the past.With greater serenity and enthusiasm I'm looking forward to
performing again.
Thank you Dr. Messmer for your very informative posts on the medical
side of singing and especially this one. Regarding Fog Machines, I must
say that I have experienced burning in my nose and throat when singing
with fog on stage (I've done a number of Azucena's and Ulrica's). I have
found my performance seriously compromised by extreme dryness. I have
coughed up black residue and have had quite a bit in my nasal
passages.It takes a few days to recover afterward.
While singers can be a very superstitious lot, for those of us who are
compromised in this way the terror is very real on stage. I felt my
whole mechanism shut down. Perhaps with the technical improvements I've
made in the recent past I might be able to somehow get through a
performance but I sincerely hope I won't have to find out. (I envy
those who can sing in smoke, drink alchohol or down a pint of ice cream
before a performance.I wish I could.)
Best to everyone,
Alexandra Zavilowicz

emusic.com