Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Dec 9, 2002  3:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] misc.

Mark: My husband & I saw "Galileo, Galilei" @ the Goodman in August &
thought it was terrific! I would suggest to everyone on Vocalist who has
an opportunity to see it be certain to go. We found the music to be
atypical for Philip Glass in that is is quite accessible. We were
actually wondering previously what Mark had been up to. You sang a
"Messiah" performance several years ago with the Downers Grove Choral
Society, a community group in which I used to sing.

Christine Thomas: BTW, you were an awesome alto soloist when DGCS did the
first three parts of the Bach "Christmas Oratorio" last month!

Woodwinds Players: My husband is a clarinetist & his big problem
resulting from this in studying voice is that he takes breaths that are
too big. Good for the clarinet but not so efficient for singing.

Concert Reminder: Our new a cappella chamber choir, Acappellago, had our
concert today & we couldn't be more excited about how the music turned
out & the audience turn out!!!

Pat Smith

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:13:35 -0000 "Mark Crayton" <mralto@a...>
writes:
> Hi Elizabeth,
>
> It is a great project. Mr. Glass has taken a beating in the press
> but he is laughing all the way to the bank as the audiences love the
>
> piece. It is not based on the Brecht because the librettest and
> director, Mary Zimmerman, did not want to only base the story on the
>
> end of Galileo's life. The story is told in reverse so the first
> three scenes are adapted from the transcripts of the trial and
> inquisition. The scene concerning Galileo's daughter is taken from
>
> her letters to her father. There is a scene that is adapted from
> Galileo's "Dialogue..." as well as a scene that deals with a famous
>
> priest of the day and his exhortations against Galileo from the
> pulpit. The remainder of the opera deals with Galileo's
> presentation
> of the telescope to the Italian court as well as his childhood. The
>
> last scene concerns Galileo watching an opera composed by his father
>
> Vicenzio Galileo (on of the Camerata that included Caccini,
> Monteverdi and the like) on the subject of Orion.
>
> We have finished Chicago, New York and London and are on hiatus.
> There are possibilities for Seattle and Paris but no deals are
> final. Mr. Glass is also working on funding for a recording of the
>
> piece.
>
> I would love to tour more with this piece as I really enjoy it and
> the response it gets. Mr. Glass' music is very different here.
> Nothing is repeated! No text! No nothing! Some of the musical
> language is the same but most of the accompaniment for the singers
> consists of broken/driven chords "alberti" style. The harmonic
> structure changes almost every four measures...it was quite
> difficult
> to learn! I think that this is what has caused the fury. The
> critics did not get what they were expecting and they did not know
> how to accept it.
>
> care,
> Mark

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21364 Re: misc.John Link johnlink010254 Mon  12/9/2002
21368 Re: misc.Mark Crayton <mralto@a...> mrcountertenor Mon  12/9/2002
21382 Re: misc.Christine Thomas mezzoid Mon  12/9/2002

emusic.com