Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Dec 5, 2002  6:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

In a message dated 12/4/2002 8:44:51 PM Central Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> Just as if one thinks they can get in there, inside the larynx,
> and mess about with adduction when the real clues to
> effortless production lie on the surface. This obsession with
> things internal lead any reasonable person up the path
> to disillusionment. To make my point even more clear, I hope,
> very little air is needed to maintain a phrase to such an extent
> that with efficient support, one never ' runs out of air' before the
> phrase is complete, so there is no expectation of a rising larynx

They will run out of air no matter how much attention is paid to support if
adduction is inadequate. This is why singers with vocal fold lesions have
breathy voices the cords don't fully adduct. Is a cummerbund going to fix
that?

Here's a question for you reg. A client is referred to you with a bowed
vocal fold. How would you deal with it? A client is referred to you with
muscle tension dysphonia where no real closed phase is present in the vocal
cycle. How would you deal with it?

Breathing can be the issue with some clients, but to conclude that it all
comes down to support for everyone is simple minded. There are other parts
of the equation which can be (and usually are more so) out of whack. Those
being adduction, extrinsic interference, registration and supraglottal
adjustments. If breath is the issue, it's usually a compensatory pattern
learned from other problems which used to be present ... then it should be
dealt with. Now, incorrect inhalation is another matter but that doesn't
seem to be what you're talking about.

Intrinsic behaviors of the larynx can be addressed very effectively if one
knows how. It was the point of my NATS JOS article about postoperative
posture memory rehabilitation. You can read it on my website.

randy buescher
www.speechlevelvoice.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21296 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Fri  12/6/2002

emusic.com