Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Dec 5, 2002  2:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

At 06:20 PM 4/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:11:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>bandb@n... writes:
>
>> If the support is effective, in that it enables the singer to sing on the
>> "feeling of inspiration", the phrase will be complete well before there
>> is any tendency for the larynx to rise.
>>

>reg,
>
> surprisingly, you missed the point. the point is, if one thinks
that
>a lowering of a larynx is dependent on lungs full of air then, one has to
>conclude that, as the air is exhaled, the larynx must rise. what i am
>saying is: THIS IS WRONG!
>
>mike
WOW mike in upper case!!! :) I win.
Just as if one thinks they can get in there, inside the larynx,
and mess about with adduction when the real clues to
effortless production lie on the surface. This obsession with
things internal lead any reasonable person up the path
to disillusionment. To make my point even more clear, I hope,
very little air is needed to maintain a phrase to such an extent
that with efficient support, one never ' runs out of air' before the
phrase is complete, so there is no expectation of a rising larynx.

On the other hand, if one is misled into thinking something that is
incorrect, then his expectations will be just as chaotic.

So...why submerge a novice in the intricate gyrations of the
larynx or pharynx when his observations are mostly external.
My original point.

Reg.

emusic.com