Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sat Jun 3, 2000  6:38 pm
Subject:  Tako's arpeggio and Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

Dear Tako,
after some difficulties I was finally able to hear
your arpeggio, and I must say, I really liked it! It
would be interesting to hear more, a complete aria or
so. As far as I can judge from this recording, there
are two things I like in your voice, that I don't like
in, let's say, Andreas Scholl's: your lower notes
sound natural (but not male, in this I disagree with
John) and secondly and more important, your high notes
really seem to be bright. What we cannot hear from
this recording, is how big the sound is, but the
singer's format is there, you don't need the graph to
understand this. Then a few outstanding issues:
--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> > It has everything to do with self-perpetuated
gender > stereotypes. If > countertenors were common,
people would eventually > learn to distinguish
> them from women. When they heard a high voice, they
> would ask themselves > "hmmm, is that a woman or a
countertenor?" Of course > they are not that
> many countertenors because it is difficult for men
> to put themselves in > a situation where people will
think they are > attempting some form of
> transvestism. > -Tako
I agree that it would work out differently if
countertenors were common. Since we (or: most of us)
are used to 'Hosenrollen' (how do you say that in
English: Pantroles??), we could get used to
countertenors in other or simular roles.
But that was not my point: I made the remark about the
ambiguity of CT's, more or less for the sake of the
arguement. The arguement, was about the fact that I
don't have the feeling that the 'Fach' of CT's is the
same as that of the castrati. But I must admit that
the kind of sound you make, is a step in the right
direction. Maybe we should wait ten years or so, to
see how things have developed by then.
One final thing: what I don't believe that much, is
that there so few countertenors because so few men
'want to put themselves in a situation where people
will think they are attempting some form of
transvestism'. I think that also this is more simple,
and has to do with identification: most men want to be
man, and identify themselves with operatic and other
roles and voices that are male. There is nothing wrong
with that. I think that is also the reason why most
tenors tend to sing a little bit too big for their
voice: the more dramatic, the more male. Besides that
there is the point that the 'hooty' sound of the CT
old style, might not be everybody's taste.
Anyway: it was very interesting to hear you, if you
would live nearer, I would certainly go to a concert
of you.
Best greetings,
Dre

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!