Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  7:45 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Randy B. wrote: <<<<<<<But if a student has problems with too
little adduction, increased airflow is not the answer.  A regimen of
vocalises that "build" the ability of the folds to adduct and
strengthens the
muscles involved to do so is a better route.>>>>>..... I agree with
this but for some students just doing the exercises without an
explanation of the need to relax the abdominal muscle wall that can keep
the diaphragm from fully opening the rib cage, thus not allowing enough
air to use for adduction, then the student is really great at the
exercises but inconsistent in applying the technique to singing. I've
found that with some people I need to explain about breath support as
well as doing the vocalises in order to get good vocal fold adduction.
I used to say to people "more air! More air!" but I don't do that
anymore, thanks to Vocalist!
Deanna

---

emusic.com