Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  2:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

In a message dated 12/4/2002 7:03:47 AM Central Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> I have read this same sort of thing before in many sources, and my personal
> experience agrees. However, I think that breath can have an effect on
> laryngeal position and muscle tension as well. For the singer who gets
> very
> little adduction of the cords, taking in a larger amount of air can often
> get the cords to approximate better, as a natural resistance to the
> pressure
> built up in the lungs. For singers who adduct too much, taking in less air
> can reduce their need to hold back that air.

Yes, too much air can cause the larynx to either excessively valve to resist
the blast (and usually requires extra help from outside sources to do so) or
the folds to part in order to ameliorate the pressure ... that is a client
where airflow should be addressed. But if a student has problems with too
little adduction, increased airflow is not the answer. A regimen of
vocalises that "build" the ability of the folds to adduct and strengthens the
muscles involved to do so is a better route. Poor adduction naturally leads
to more airflow to engage Bernoulli and is a compensatory method used to
avoid the real issue which is in the larynx.

If they adduct too much, in which I'm assuming a glottal attack would be
present, achieving a balanced onset would probably be a good route to take.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21243 Re: Consonants and breath flowDavid Grogan   Wed  12/4/2002
21247 Re: Consonants and breath flowEdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Wed  12/4/2002

emusic.com