Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  4:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

:) I'm sure you needed no invitation Randy.

I don't challenge what you say because as I see it,
you do not address the problem of a singer who tends
to have difficulty singing pianissimo because of intrinsic
problems to do with support. This problem leads it
muscular effort that places all sorts of strain in the
upper area where there should be very little.

I hope I'm incorrectly interpreting your words to mean
that you suggest that one should actively drag the folds
low. Not me mate!

Do you mean to imply that there is something to be fixed
in the upper throat before moderate control of the rate of
air flow can be addressed?

This is not my experience. I'm talking about moderation
of the rate of air flow directly related to the artistic
nuance of the performer, the aim being to sing a
steady pianissimo while retaining the ability to
crescendo and diminuendo and still retain control with
good quality tone.

In a nutshell I'm saying that efficiency of breath usage
and quality of tone begins with sensitive control of the
support system, not with interference in the folds as
you appear to suggest.

Reg.

emusic.com