Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  4:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Analyzing health of pop vs classical tech, was Amplification

there are several categorizations in this study, that i find
peculiar. one is the grouping of rock and gospel together and the other is
the grouping of all classical styles together. to me, the vocalizations of
rock and gospel are different. also, rock can be so wide ranging in how the
singer's use their voices, one category can't really include all these
different uses. the grouping of all the classical categories vs. all the
other categories, betrays the prejudice of the study. more importantly, we
all know that the vocalizations of a typical chorister are very different
from those of a professional opera singer.

despite the above, the study indicates to me that there is probably a
big difference between the vocal health of those who are trained and those
who are not. unfortunately, the training that is most widely available, is
classical training. classical training does not meet the needs of many
other styles, especially for women. so, the singers of these other styles
will avoid training as such training doesn't really meet their needs.

the use of the voice exists outside of singing. singing is only one
usage of the voice. it is my opinion that voice teachers should be striving
to understand the usage of the voice independently of style. this would
give both teacher and student the ability to make technical choices that are
appropriate to the student's goals. to teach a pop singer to make operatic
choices, is as wrong as teaching an opera singer to make pop choices, unless
that's what they want to do.

mike

emusic.com