Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  3:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Analyzing health of pop vs classical tech, was Amplification

In a message dated 12/3/2002 10:18:51 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Leslie:
>
> Thanks for the important information on the presence of tension in
> the singing mechanism and its degree of intensity as found in singers
> of different singing styles. This is a most important research
> project because it more clearly defines the possible effects of
> different singing styles on the voice based on a well thought out and
> practical research project as developed by one of the leading schools
> of voice research in the USA.
>
> I encourage all to read it.

I read it and it does give good insights into mt, but all the voices used in
the study were reported as healthy. Several of the singers were found to
have asymptomatic nodules (in various forms) which of course encouraged
higher mt scores. However, they fail to give a breakdown (unless I missed
it) of what genres the nodules were related to. The evidence of those that
do suffer injury does not necessarily reflect what you may want to deduce
from study cited above. It is a worth study but what it really shows is that
untrained singers (especially pop) use a higher laryngeal position which goes
hand in hand with muscle tension dysphonia. Another group from my experience
working with disordered voices that runs into this is Hs female choral
singers. They often sing in a heady tone on the bottom with a lot of air
pouring through and fit right into one of the mt classes discussed in the
article. The one which encourages an antagonistic relationship between the
muscles of adduction and abduction and a lot of suprahyoid involvement.

While mt quotients may make the job a little more difficult, the main
component of those that suffer injury is overuse.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com